President-elect Donald Trump has announced he is to leave his business empire to focus on the presidency and avoid perceived conflicts of interest.
Trump announced in a series of early morning tweets that he would leave his “great business,” adding: “While I am not mandated to do this under the law, I feel it is visually important, as president, to in no way have a conflict of interest with my various businesses.”
Mr Trump meanwhile focused on his plans to distance himself from his business in a series of four tweets released over 20 minutes.
Trump provided no details, though he said legal documents were being prepared. He previously had said he’d leave his business operations to his three eldest children – Donald Jr., Eric and Ivanka.
Asked if the tweets indicated plans to move the businesses to the children, Trump senior adviser Kellyanne Conway said Wednesday, “it appears that way.”
“The three adult children who do already work in the corporation are expected to continue in those roles and in fact increase their responsibilities in those roles,” Conway said.